Langdon & Bennett substation project – West Alberta Transmission Line
Project Status: Complete
Location: Langdon, Alberta
Voltage: 240Kv & 500Kv
The co-located Langdon 240kV and the Bennett 500kV substations are part of AltaLink’s Western Alberta Transmission Line Project (WATL). Alberta’s rapidly increasing energy requirements due to new residents and expanding industries made these SNC Lavalin managed projects key priorities for Altalink. The scope of work for the Langdon substation involved brownfield expansion of the existing substation including the installation of new 240kV and 24kV structures and equipment. The scope of work for the Bennet substation included the erection and installation of 500kV and 240kV structures and equipment.
The detailed scope of work for both projects consisted of:
- Steel structures, Bus-works and Junction box installation.
- Complete trenches and the installation of high, low voltage and outdoor control cables
- Indoor cabling additions, modifications and salvaging
- Installation of grounding, outdoor lighting and insulating gravel.
- All indoor P&C and SCADA works including installation of racks, marshalling racks and modules, AC station service and distribution scheme, cable trays, and cable terminations.
- Pre-commissioning equipment tests and commissioning in preparation for energization.
- Concrete road crossings.
Allteck’s track record of meeting energization In-Service Dates was a key factor in the award of this project. The schedule of this project was shortened from 9 months to 6 months, requiring extremely efficient project planning and mobilization. Allteck met the energization date by developing and executing a detailed project plan that included close coordination with SNC Lavalin and AltaLink. The project was completed on-time allowing AltaLink to coordinate energization with neighboring utilities.Slider popup